This is great. New York Times, king of the mainstream, is providing advice for companies and organizations on how to deal with the new realities of the social media world. And they are right! Great article.
Summary (this is my take on it)
1. Listen, listen, listen
2. Act fast–that means doing your thinking and planning before things happen so you can act fast.
3. Don’t assume your enemies are necessarily your enemies.
4. To quote Proverbs: A soft answer turns away wrath.
5. ‘Fess up quick and apologize quick if you have screwed up–and for goodness sake, don’t let the attorneys get in your way
6. Talk to them like they talk to each other–use their channels and consistent with their style and values